Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion. – EDWARD ABBEY, A Voice Crying in the Wilderness
It was just a small slice of life that I happened to experience. I was at a stoplight waiting for the green. I noticed the small red four door car behind me with four women passengers who just happened to be pointing at the back of my car. I knew immediately what drew their attention was my pro-life bumper sticker. My bumper sticker was not one of the usual types. Those are extremely good stickers, but I happened to like a pro-life group who believed that abortion doctors should be surrounded by a hundred mal-practice lawyers as if in a shark tank. So my bumper sticker said, “Abortion: a doctor’s right to make a killing”. Because of the stigma associated with abortion, women who are injured by incompetent doctors are not likely to sue. They will quietly go through life with all sorts of injuries including infertility and never go after the doctor responsible. These doctors are not loving people. They kill for a living and make damn good money doing it. They are often protected by government officials who take money from Planned Parenthood. But that’s another story.
Apparently the ladies in the car behind me did not care for my bumper sticker for as soon as the light turned green, they passed me, pulled in front of me and slowed down so I could read their sticker and of course they pointed at it with great delight. It read, “If you can’t trust me with a choice, how can you trust me with a child?”
“Well if that don’t just take the cake!”
I had seen the bumper sticker before and always thought that it had to be one of the very worst arguments for keeping abortion legal. What am I to make of it? Are you really telling me that having the right to kill your child before he or she is born somehow makes you a better parent for the ones you choose to bring to life? That because you have this choice to kill your babies before they are born, I can trust you with living children you allowed to live? I can no more stop you legally from aborting your babies than I can stop you from raising the ones you chose to be born, however, your choice does not inspire trust in any way possible.
“So I have become your enemy by telling you the truth?” (Galatians 4:16)
Statistics for problems related to abortions makes one wonder if post abortive women really can be the very best mothers possible. Within the first year following an abortion, women will seek medical care 80% more for all sorts of medical issues and 180% more for psychosocial problems. (a) Within that first year, post-abortive women were 60 times more likely to die of natural causes, four times more likely from accidents, seven times more likely to die from suicide and fourteen times more likely to die of homicide. (b) The lowest incident of PTST reported was 1.5 percent due to abortion which means 14% of American women suffer from some to all of the symptoms of PTST. (c) Legal abortion is the fifth leading cause of maternal deaths in the United States and this is just from the deaths actually and truthfully reported. (d) One abortion increases your risk of cervical cancer by 2.3% and it increases with each succeeding abortion. (e) Risk for breast cancer increases by 30%. (f) Increased risk of Placenta Previa between seven to fifteen times. Higher chances for preterm deliveries in subsequent pregnancies. (g) Greater risks for ectopic pregnancies. (h) Damage to cervix and uterus resulting in handicaps to newborns of subsequent pregnancies. Of women who have who have a chlamydia infection at the time of their abortion, 23% will develop Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) within four weeks of the abortion. Without the chlamydia infection the rate of PID developing decreases to 5% of the women. (i) The list of negative physical effects of abortions go on and on. Then last but not least:
“Abortion is linked with increase depression, violent behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, replacement pregnancies, and reduced maternal bonding with children born subsequently. These factors are closely associated with child abuse and confirm individual clinical assessments linking post-abortion trauma with subsequent child abuse.” (j)
“Just so, every good tree bears good fruit and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. “ (Matthew 7:16)
With all the negative results possible from the so-called ‘choice’, it would be a wonder if women could survive an abortion much less raise healthy well-adjusted children. I know with God all things are possible, I just wonder at the mountain that must be moved to do so.
Even though I have seen pro-abortion bumper sticker many times before, I have never felt the need to pull in front of people to make them read my bumper sticker, nor have I ever yelled at them, made obscene gestures or keyed their car, some of the things that were done to me because of my bumper sticker. Those who hate truth act such ways. It is not enough that they do what they want and say what they want and put every silly pro-abortion argument out there from TV shows to bumper stickers. They are determined to silence those who speak the truth to them. They do not understand how their choice is murder and makes them act like they are ‘god’ in choosing life or death for the very least of our brothers and sisters. They go after every prolife group in an attempt to keep others from hearing the truth. They are even fighting to force pro-life pregnancy centers to promote abortion. Yet when laws are passed to protect women and children in the abortion process, they fight every step of the way to the Supreme Court.
“…but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.” (2 Corinthians 4:2)
Evil hates the truth because truth shines the light of God on it in such a way as to expose what it really is. It loves the darkness because it can cloak itself so as to continue its painful, hateful acts. It knows that hurting people hurt others. Evil is never truly concerned with the pain it causes, it delights in it. It is over joyed in every baby’s murder. It delights in how many women will be permanently injured because of it. It is pleased in the marriages it destroys and the depression it causes. It glories in the grief it creates. It pretends to be doing good thing when in fact it promotes the darkest of acts.
“..That the light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light so that his works may not be exposed.” (John 3:19-20)
“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light, for light produces every kind of goodness and righteousness and truth.” (Ephesians 5:8-9)
If the best argument you have is a poorly conceived bumper sticker to plead your case, then keep on driving because there is nowhere good to park your car.
“Truthful lips endure forever, the lying tongue, only for a moment.” (Proverbs 12:19)
All statistics were taken from:
- Ney, et.al., “The Effects of Pregnancy Loss on Women’s Health,” Soc. Sci. Med. 48(9):1193-1200, 1994; Badgley, Caron, & Powell, Report of the Committee on the Operation of the Abortion Law, Supply and Services, Ottawa, 1977: 319-321. Gissler, M., et. al.,
- “Pregnancy-associated deaths in Finland 1987-1994 — definition problems and benefits of record linkage,” Acta Obsetricia et Gynecolgica Scandinavica 76:651-657 (1997).
- Catherine Barnard, The Long-Term Psychological Effects of Abortion, Portsmouth, N.H.: Institute for Pregnancy Loss, 1990).
- Kaunitz, “Causes of Maternal Mortality in the United States,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, 65(5) May 1985
- I. Fujimoto, et al., “Epidemiology of Cancers of the Uterine Cervix and Corpus, Breast and Ovary in Israel and New York City,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute 37(1):1-96; I. Fujimoto, et al.
- H.L. Howe, et al., “Early Abortion and Breast Cancer Risk Among Women Under Age 40,” International Journal of Epidemiology 18(2):300-304 (1989); – there are literally dozen more studies not mentioned here.
- Hogue, Cates and Tietze, “Impact of Vacuum Aspiration Abortion on Future Childbearing: A Review”, Family Planning Perspectives (May-June 1983),vol.15, no.3.. Jacobsson B, Hagberg G, Hagberg B, Ladfors L, Niklasson A, Hagberg A. Cerebral Palsy in preterm infants: a population-based case-control study of antenatal and intrapartal risk factors. Acta Paediatrica 2002;91:946-951. Calhoun BC, Shadigian E, Rooney B. Cost consequences of induced abortion as an attributable risk for preterm birth and informed consent. J Reprod Med 2007;52:929-939.
- Daling,et.al., “Ectopic Pregnancy in Relation to Previous Induced Abortion”, JAMA, 253(7):1005-1008 (Feb. 15, 1985); Levin, et.al., “Ectopic Pregnancy and Prior Induced Abortion”, American Journal of Public Health (1982), vol.72,p253;
- T. Radberg, et al., “Chlamydia Trachomatis in Relation to Infections Following First Trimester Abortions,” Acta Obstricia Gynoecological (Supp. 93), 54:478 (1980); L. Westergaard, “Significance of Cervical Chlamydia Trachomatis Infection in Post-abortal Pelvic Inflammatory Disease,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, 60(3):322-325, (1982); M. Chacko, et al., “Chlamydia Trachomatosis Infection in Sexually Active Adolescents: Prevalence and Risk Factors,” Pediatrics, 73(6), (1984);
- . Benedict, et al., “Maternal Perinatal Risk Factors and Child Abuse,” Child Abuse and Neglect, 9:217-224 (1985); P.G. Ney, “Relationship between Abortion and Child Abuse,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 24:610-620, 1979; Reardon, Aborted Women – Silent No More (Chicago: Loyola University Press, 1987), 129-30, describes a case of woman who beat her three year old son to death shortly after an abortion which triggered a “psychotic episode” of grief, guilt, and misplaced anger. . Ashton,”The Psychosocial Outcome of Induced Abortion”, British Journal of Ob&Gyn., 87:1115-1122, (1980).
and much more.